Popular Science published an article in 1937
about a new Billion dollar crop! It listed over 25,000 uses for this plant.
Top 5 Uses
Bacteria Fighting Fabric
Cars (luxury automobiles)
Graphene-Like Nanomaterial – Hemp stores energy like batteries and super capacitors
Fun Facts – about Hemp
Did U Know
- –It was legal to pay your taxes with hemp til the 1800’s. (LA Times. Aug. 12, 1981.)
- -All schoolbooks were made from hemp or flax paper til the 1880’s (Jack Frazier. Hemp Paper Reconsidered. 1974.)
- -Refusing to grow hemp in America in the 17th and 18th century was illegal! (G. M. Herdon. Hemp in Colonial Virginia).
- -George Washington, Thomas Jefferson and other founding fathers grew hemp.(Washington and Jefferson Diaries. Jefferson smuggled hemp seeds from China to France then to America.)
- -Benjamin Franklin owned one of the first paper mill in America and it processed hemp. (Jack Herer. Emperor Wears No Clothes.)
- -90% of all ship’s sails and rope were made from hemp. (Webster’s New World Dictionary.)
- -80% of all textiles, fabrics, clothes, linen, drapes, bed sheets, etc. were made from hemp until 1820’s with the introduction of the cotton gin.
- -The first crop in America in many states was hemp. 1850 was a peak year for hemp in Kentucky producing 40,000 tons. Hemp was the largest cash crop til the 20th century. (State Archives.)
- -The first drafts of the Declaration of Independence and the Constitution were made from hemp. (U.S. Government Archives.)
- -The oldest records of hemp go back 5000 yrs in China, although in reality it probably goes back to the ancient Egypt.
- -Rembrandt’s, Van Gogh.’s as well as most early canvas paintings were principally painted on hemp linen
- -In 1916 the US Government predicted that all paper would come from hemp by the 1940’s. Government studies show that 1 acre of hemp equals 4.1 acres of trees, and plans were in the works to implement such programs.
- -Quality paints and varnishes were made from hemp seed oil until 1937. 58,000 tons of hemp seeds were used in America’s paint products in 1936.
- -Henry Fords’ Model T was built to run on hemp gasoline and the car itself was constructed from hemp! The car was grown from the soil and had hemp plastic panels whose impact strength was 10x stronger than steel!.
- -Hemp was called the Billion Dollar crop in 1938. It was the first time a crop had the business potential to exceed a billion dollars. (Popular Mechanics, Feb. 1938.)
- The first Bibles were printed in Hemp paper, Betsy Rosse’s flag, early maps and charts (U.S. Government Archives.)
- There are many more fun facts about hemp – these are just a few
- These are sourced from: http://listverse.com/2009/04/15/15-fascinating-facts-about-hemp/